Thursday 17 October 2013

Feeling like the worst mum in the world 😟

Well I had planned to start my blog with stories and experiences that I have had so far as a breast feeding mum! 

Tonight has unfortunately given me the opportunity to write from the heart on my first post... Feeling like the worst mum in the world. 

Last year I joined a pantomime group through my old singing teacher in Perton, West Midlands.
A lovely friendly bunch who really make you feel one of the family. 

8 weeks into rehearsals I announce that I'm 12 weeks pregnant and will be 20 weeks pregnant during show week. 

I was happy to carry on and they were happy for me to still be involved. 

All went well as bump & I played the evil Queen Grizelda ( all bar a fall on the first night!)

Anyway, 7 months on auditions open for next years Panto Robin Hood. 

So, my husband, 2 week old Bea & I go to auditions & I try my hand at Maid Marian. 

Maybe they were frightened to let down the tired new mum who was hormonally challenged, but I got the part! 

So, September this year rehearsals started. They run every Wednesday 7.15-9.45 and most Thursdays 7-9.

Rehearsals mean that I need to express milk for Nick to give Bea with a bottle. 

I use a Medela swing electric breast pump & Tommee tippee closer to nature bottles & Bea takes the bottle well. 

The main issue is finding the time to express, if Bea gets up, has breakfast and then has a sleep, I am quite good at getting ready & expressing before we go out, but if not- time goes! 

This has meant that I have needed to take Bea to rehearsals a few times. 
Most people are very good about it & spend time with Bea and help by holding, cuddling and playing.
I find it difficult as I feel a bit guilty for taking her out at night and not spending all of my time with her, but she is very good and it is making her a very social baby.

Anyway! 

This week, Bea is having her 4 month growth spurt. She is feeding quite often and for quite a length of time.

Because of this I have not had time to express any milk, so last night I was going to stay at home with my unsettled baby, but I was needed, so went and it was ok.

Today I made an effort and managed to get 3.5oz. Not loads, but as much as I could.

Nick took Bea off to his parents & I went off to rehearsal.

All went well until I saw a missed call on my phone off Nick, I called him & all I could hear was Bea screaming, he was on his way home from his parents house to ours with a starving child 😟

I couldn't leave rehearsal, so I asked him to bring her to me.

We agreed for him to phone me when he got to the car park. I saw my phone ringing and ran as close to Mo as I could. 

I got there and no Daddy or Bea to be seen. I panicked and ran back for my phone & ran back... They were there.

I pulled the door open & Bea was fast asleep with a beetroot red face 😟

I woke her up and got her straight out and burst into tears. I held her so tight, I felt terrible and so guilty for leaving her and not being there with her milk.

I felt selfish for doing Panto and overall a rubbish mummy.

I took her in and finished my rehearsal. I held her right as I sang Especially for you.

She stayed close and quiet and I got her in the car without any fuss.

I drove home as fast and safely as I could.

I pulled up and she was fast asleep. Nick took her out of her car seat and put her into her Moses basket.

She slept and I stared for the next 20 minutes... She is now getting the feed she deserves.
TMSM xxx


3 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful, healthy, settled baby, Beth. We love having her at rehearsal, and she hasn't made so much as a gurgle to upset anyone - she just lies gazing up lovingly at who ever is giving her the munch!

    We all go through this - balancing the overwhelming urge to be there all time time for this most precious person in the world, and the absolute necessity to continue to function as an adult with some semblance of a non-baby related social life.

    We were always very lucky with Robyn. Charlotte went back to school when Robyn was 4 months old and I was a home Dad. The best job I've ever had. We were very lucky as Charlotte was able to express for England. In fact several donations were made to the Milk Bank in Birmingham. I was never short of a feed for Robyn, except on the one occasion when I underestimated her needs. Again she cried herself to sleep, with a big cuddle from me, and slept until I got her home and could get the feed. It was not my finest hour, but that little bundle of crying noise is now my 7 year old best friend, and I wouldn't change anything.

    The balance will never be perfect, but as long as you continue to love that beautiful daughter of yours as you and Nick do now, she will be one of the truly lucky children.

    And besides - Harlequin needs you....!!! And Bea (in a couple of years time).

    And Nick - if you can persuade him to come and put a pair of tights on for us.....!!

    Take care.
    Your very proud Old Singing Teacher :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim.

      Thank you very much.

      I am now going to take my beautiful sleeping Bea and my teary eyes off to bed.

      A heart felt thank you x

      Delete
  2. Well done you (1) writing a blog (2) having some kind of life outside of the boob (3) feeling the guilt....welcome to te world of guilt....;)

    ReplyDelete