Friday 18 October 2013

Breast pads

Well, they are a necessity to most breast feeding mums! 

My sister packed my hospital bag as a gift & so the first ones I ever used were Johnsons. I found these very comfortable.

I then went on to Avent & they were very similar. 

My big mistake occurred when I spotted a 3 for 2 offer in Boots on their own brand. 

Ridiculous, it's like inserting a side plate into your bra & it ends up like some crumpled paper mâché experiment at the bottom of your bra... The benefit of the concave ones by Johnson & Avent is that when they wiggle to the bottom of your bra, they at least act as a chicken fillet for a bit of boost! 

I digress, the reason why I write today's post is because the horrid side plates have been put to the bottom of the breast pad basket for emergencies! Well today is an emergency! There are no more in stock! 

What makes them more of an inconvenience, is that they are individually wrapped- who has time to unwrap two breast pads... Though it does give you an idea of their enormous size, they are so big they have to be folded in two! 

I can never manage to open them & end up tearing them apart with my teeth & then spend the next 10 minutes looking for the stray price of plastic. 

As you may have noticed I have an eye for a bargain, so when shopping in Sainsbury's I saw their own brand breast pads were £1.08 on offer in their baby event. I went crazy and boughtl a box to try. 

They are concave & very similar to the Avent & Johnson ones, so I am very pleased. 

All breast pads come with a sticky piece which is about the size of a 2 pence & no use to man nor beast. You'd be better off going all Blue Peter & using your own sticky back plastic!

Sainsbury's however have developed their adhesive into a strip, which unfortunately has a blue plastic strip sealing it. This is royal blue, the colour of whole milk. 

As I mentioned in my last post, I sometimes have to take Bea to Panto rehearsals. 

I few weeks ago I did just that & planned to keep Bea until the break, feed her & then Nick would collect her & take her home. 

This is exactly what happened, but as Bea finishes her feed I got so involved with getting her things and waving her & Nick off that I forgot I even had a breast pad, let alone that I'd returned it to my bra.

Well I hadn't! Gary, another member & I clearly spotted the lost breast pad with the bright blue strip on the floor in the rehearsal room at the same time. In a bizarre slow motion movie, I leant towards it, but was too late- he's got it, he picked it up! My breast pad was now in his hands, oh the shame! 

He said ' I think this is yours ' and handed it to me & I stuffed it into my bag.

He was very good about it, whilst I wanted the ground to swallow me up! 

So I think the moral of all this is, choose breast pads wisely, not on price & please use the adhesive!    

No comments:

Post a Comment